In this educational era, the schools and various educational authorities are emphasizing on the process of hand-on outdoor learning for their students. As the students are all-time engaged in the process of studying indoors such as doing the assignment writing tasks by taking assignment help Melbourne, therefore, sometimes students feel fatigue and boredom pursuing knowledge confined to the classrooms only.
Hand-on outdoor learning is a brilliant technique to inculcate the student’s interest in studies and make studying process fun.
What is Hand-on outdoor learning?
Hand-on Outdoor learning is a concept of delivering education and knowledge to kids by exposing them to real environments and surroundings. In other words, gaining know-how in practical environment is called as Hand-on Outdoor learning.
This concept offers number of benefits to the kids, teachers and the parents too. Hand-on learning enhance engagement of kids in studies which increased attainment of ideas in a better way.
Let’s see some of the benefits of outdoor learning –
1. Better scores – It has been proved statistically by the specialized educational organizations that with the help of outdoor curriculum, students’ progress fast. It has been analyzed that the students from mass schools scored better marks when they were imparted practical training on subjects as compared to the traditional schools who exaggerate more on theoretical training of the kids.
2. Decreased anxiety and stress levels – When the students are exposed to outdoor environment, they feel happy and stress-free. A hormone is released from the brain of the kids at that time, the name of that hormone is ‘Serotonin’ which is also called a happy hormone. It has been evaluated that kids normally release this hormone when they do something with which they feel good and pleasurable. The activities children can perform outdoors can be monitoring the plant growth in the garden or checking the things that cause harm to plants etc. A hormone is released if the students perform these activities repetitively named as ‘dopamine’. So, performing these activities can remarkably reduce the stress and anxiety levels among kids.
3. Better memory power – In the modern classrooms, better systems of lightening, layout, temperature, etc. are available. But still it lacks that recreational aura that can boost up the energy levels of the kids. The memory power also gets reduced in that case. But if the students are taken outdoors, their inner senses get enlightened up and they suppose to grab more. So, indulging in the outdoor learning activities helps the students to memorize and retain more.
4. Finer Health – In the current era, the people and the kids tend to spend more time indoors with which their psychological, as well as physiological power, get narrowed. It has been figured out by the various educational institutions that children tend to become obese and lose their health by continuous indoor over-stimulation. As they get depressed sometimes when they are just confined to their classrooms only. This is also called as nature-deficit disorder. When the students spend most of the time inside the classrooms, their senses get cramped and they avoid doing anything. So, the school authorities should devise outdoor activities for the children in their academic curriculum to improve the physiological as well as psychological health of the students.
5. Students feel motivated – Studies show that students will more motivated and happier when they are exposed to outdoor environments. A study of Kindergartners in Australia in 2018 has evaluated that the students show significant amount of interest in the Hand-on learning educational methods. Not only this, the student’s motivation levels get lured up when they go out with the teachers. They have natural curiosity in their minds about what they will be doing in the next hour of studies.
6. Improvement in the social behavior – Sometimes in the classrooms, the students become difficult to handle but it has been seen that the students who are the naughtiest in the classrooms and did not show any interest in studies focus and concentrate more in the outdoor learning methodologies. Outdoor learning has also proved beneficial in adapting good social traits like social adjustment, group decisions, teamwork, self-concept. The teachers are also of the view that a lot of improvement has been seen in the behavior of the kids when they were exposed to outdoor learning activities.
7. Smart learning – Hand-on outdoor learning make kids super-smart and talented. From the very beginning, they become more active and intellectual. They experience things in a better way and try to perceive the better-quality education when they are taken to outdoors. One of the best examples of outdoor learning is gardening, planting flowers. The student’s plant and water the flowers themselves with which their awareness about the natural environment prosper.
8. Students become self-reliant – Hand on learning is called as experiential learning. The students get good practical experiences that stimulate the feeling of self-dependency among them. By performing such outdoor learning activities, the children become more confident and self-reliant.
9. Better communication skills – When the students are exhibited to outdoor activities, they have to communicate more with each other in the learning process. Like the students have to indulge in discussions and solving the conflicts. Taking part in these interactions regularly, their communication skills get polished up.